I broached my bacon obsession here about several months ago, and, sure, enough, there's more news on the bacon front...
- The Accidental Hedonist--my favorite food-related blog--notes that The Stranger, the leading free Seattle tabloid, has decided they need to find something to write about now that the election's over. Their new candidate? Bacon!
- The New York Times' Bitten blog--a nice, bite-sized digest of food news and recipes--posted a recipe for bacon mayonnaise, along with a contest to see who could make best use of this delightful condiment. Here's the recipe; the challenge will be acquiring a full four ounces of bacon fat...
- 1 egg hold
- 3/4 t Dijon mustard
- 1 t fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 c liquid bacon fat
- Combine the egg yolk, mustard, and lemon juice in a food processor or blender and mix. Season with salt and pepper. Have the bacon fat liquid, but not too hot. With the machine running, gradually add the bacon fat until the mixture starts to stiffen and emulsify--about 2min. Once it starts to emulsify, you can add the fat more quickly. If the mayonnaise is too thick, blend in one teaspoon boiling water to thin it.
- If you'd prefer to buy your own, the creators of Bacon Salt have created Baconnaise. I have not yet found a retail location that carries it, and the notion of buying something like this through the mail seems a bit...creepy.